The Barbados National Energy Policy (BNEP) 2019-2030 outlines Barbados’ central vision regarding energy policy and planning and is designed to achieve the country’s transformational goal of becoming a 100% renewable energy and carbon neutral island-state by 2030. As part of this policy, the country will seek to provide and achieve:
- Reliable, safe, affordable, sustainable, modern and climate friendly energy services to all residents and visitors.
- Zero domestic consumption of fossil fuels economy wide.
- Export of all hydrocarbons produced both on land and offshore.
- Maximise local participation (individual and corporate) in distributed renewable energy (RE) generation and storage (democratisation of energy).
- Minimise the outflow of foreign exchange.
- Create a regional centre of excellence in RE research and development.